Saturday, January 20, 2007

Buried Treasure

I reside on Treasure Island, a small barrier on The Gulf of Mexico west of St. Petersburg, Florida. Treasure Island, is named for its early history of pirates taking sanctuary here and burying their treasures while taking a break from their buccaneering activities. It was a good place to vacation back then and still is today.
No treasures have been found here for years. I’m told that some had been found in the past, but that the remaining pirate treasure is probably either underwater (due to Beach erosion), under some Motel or other dwelling on the beach.
But I beg to differ, as I know where the real treasures are on Treasure Island. I am speaking of the Treasures that I have been recently finding while attempting to clean out my junk closet. The cleaning of this closet was supposed to be a one or two week project. I seriously doubt that that I will finish this project before the end of March.
The latest treasure that I have found is a box of old books. Before moving to Florida nine years ago, I gave away most of my books. I gave some to family and some to friends. The books that I brought with me were the books that I could read again and again.
In this box of books, I found a Paperback written by Don Novello in his pre Fr. Guido Sarducci days. The Lazlo Letters is a collection of letters written to politicians, corporations and famous people under the pen name of Lazlo Toth. The letters were full of deliberate misstatements, outlandish advice and ridiculously stupid questions.
The thing that surprised me, as well as it did Novello, was the serious and courteous replies that he received to these letters. Several of them to then President Richard Nixon were hilarious. A letter to McDonald’s President Ray Kroc about serving jelly with an Egg McMuffin is still one of my favorites.
If you haven’t read this book, you should. You can order it from Amazon.com. You know the drill; just click on the Amazon button in the right hand column and search Amazon for Lazlo Toth.


The Beach Bum