Sunday, July 01, 2007

A Week in Hell

A week ago on Saturday, actually it began earlier in the week; I started to feel major discomfort in my lower abdominal area. This happens to me often, so I really didn’t pay too much attention to this ailment. I should have, I didn’t heed the warning signs.

On that Saturday I made 5 trips to the Porcelain Throne. This is somewhat unusual for me, as I usually make one visit per day, sometimes two. At this time the warning signs began to flash into my shallow mind. I was about to have a diverticulitis attack.

I’ve read that 50% of people over the age 60 have diverticulosis. These are small sacs that form on the Colon. Undigested food occasionally gets trapped in these sacs, especially small seeds (Poppy, Sesame and Popping Corn hulls) and red meat. And there they sit, rotting away, until they cause an infection. This infection will cause a cessation of the bowels normal Peristalsis (the rhythmic contraction of smooth muscles to propel contents through the digestive tract).

I have been diagnosed with diverticulosis, so I generally watch my food intake. But I threw caution to the wind when my old Army buddies came down to visit me the week before. I've cheated before and gotten away with doing so.

Last Sunday I made about 20 visits to the Throne Room. After the third or fourth visit it was all diarrhea, and the pain in my lower abdomen had increased 10 fold. Wanting to avoid a trip to the VA Hospital, I therefore took counter measures to avoid a Hospital visit. Yet I still informed my family and friends that I may be shortly incarcerated at the Bay Pines VA Hospital.

Both friends and family suggested that I check in immediately. I decided that I would give it a day or two to see if I could cure myself (one friend said that I was a fool for doctoring myself).

First, I went on a fast. Secondly, the quart of water that I usually drink per day was increased to one and a half gallons. I also doubled my digestive enzyme (Dietary supplement) intake and started to take 4 Brewers Yeast tablets three times a day. I cut my alcohol consumption to two beers a day and reduced my smoking habit by 1/3.

Late Tuesday night I had a bowl of oatmeal. The pain in my abdomen had receded a bit. But I was still visiting the Throne room much more than normal. I was preparing for a 3 to 4 night stay at the VA Hospital, where I would be lying in a bed with three IV's in my arm.

When I awoke Wednesday I felt much better, so I decided to give it another day before I checked in to the hospital. I ate 2 bowls of oatmeal. The diarrhea had ceased and most of the pain subsided (it was down to a dull ache).

On Friday I began to have normal bowel movements and no abdominal distress unless I coughed (only a light tinge).

One week later, yesterday, it was all systems go. No Pain – Real Food – Normal Daily Beer Ration.

I do not suggest the course of action that I have taken to people with diverticulosis; it was out of sheer desperation on my part. I have a fear of Hospitals (actually it’s of dying in a Hospital) so I decided that I would try an alternative solution to my problem and have luckily healed myself.

The Beach Bum

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know who the "friend" was that told you self Doctoring is dangerous at the least and dumb at its best...

BUT I add my sage advice to his..
GET Your mangy ass to the Dr...

Raymond

PS: Glad you better my brother

Mon Jul 02, 03:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I'm reading this and thinking, "At what point does this become 'to much information'?"

Then I went and sat on the crapper and felt better about it.

Wop

Tue Jul 03, 11:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are the Doctors going to make any money?

Wed Jul 04, 08:35:00 AM  
Blogger The Beach Bum said...

Admiral - The doctors at at the VA are salaried.

Raymond - I avoid Doctors and the Hospital. I'm not a fool!

Wop - You know me well - I always give too much information!

The Beach Bum

Thu Jul 05, 04:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you would be so kind as to tell us color and consistency of each of your stools from the first sign of the problem until it was resolved.

Fri Jul 06, 12:22:00 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, burberry outlet, coach factory outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, prada handbags, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, coach outlet store online, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

Fri Nov 21, 08:24:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 08:37:00 PM  
Blogger chenlina said...

chenlina20150827
pandora jewelry
cheap jordans
longchamp outlet
michael kors outlet
ralph lauren outlet
michael kors handbags
christian louboutin sale
louis vuitton
coach outlet
jordan 4 toro
replica rolex watches
coach factory outlet
louis vuitton handbags
nike uk
football shoes
nike huaraches
air max uk
ray ban sunglasses uk
ray ban wayfarer
michael kors outlet
hollister
longchamp handbags
coach outlet
coach outlet
ralph lauren outlet
louboutins
christian louboutin shoes
true religion jeans
gucci shoes
michael kors outlet
coach outlet
michael kors outlet
air max 95
cheap air max
air jordan pas cher
louis vuitton handbags
louis vuitton
prada
air max 90
ray ban sunglasses

Wed Aug 26, 03:36:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

zhengjx20160530
nike store uk
hollister clothing store
oakley vault
louis vuitton outlet stores
michael kors bags
cheap oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton outlet
oakley sunglasses
adidas wings
true religion outlet
michael kors outlet clearance
ray ban sunglasses outlet
toms outlet
true religion outlet
louis vuitton bags
jordan retro 11
michael kors
michael kors outlet clearance
christian louboutin sale clearance
tiffany and co
toms wedges
michael kors handbags
coach factory outlet online
oakley sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses
asics shoes for men
coach outlet
true religion jeans
longchamp outlet
christian louboutin sale
michael kors outlet
air jordan shoes
coach outlet online
nike uk
louis vuitton outlet
toms
timberlands
kate spade outlet
tory burch boots
coach factory outlet

Sun May 29, 08:31:00 PM  
Blogger chenlina said...

chenlina20161209
cleveland cavaliers jerseys
minnesota vikings jerseys
nike air max pas cher
ralph lauren polo
new england patriots jerseys
louis vuitton outlet stores
timberland boots
miami heat jerseys
uggs on sale
toms shoes

Fri Dec 09, 01:47:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

san antonio spurs jerseys
rolex replica
adidas nmd
nike tn
jerseys wholesale
ugg boots
omega watches sale
kobe 9
coach factory outlet
broncos jerseys

Tue Jul 25, 01:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home