Friday, June 27, 2008

Sinner Man

A comment was recently posted to one of my Blogs (Eye in the Sky) that piqued me. First of all, as I have said before, if you don’t have the intestinal fortitude to put your name on your comment, you shouldn’t be commenting at all.

The comment of which I speak was posted by an anonymous commenter:
“It is never to late to repent your sins and comunicate with the Lord. You have a great opportunity to get connected with your friends, some of which are waiting for the outstretched hand to walk together onward towards peace.”

Here’s the part that really tighten my sphincter: “It is never to late to repent your sins”. First of all who has the right to decide what is a sin or a transgression. I have a set of morals and mores that I subscribe to in my daily life. Who is to say that what I believe to be a sin and do not belive to be a sin is incorrect. Perhaps the Moral Majority is wrong and I am right.

Let’s start with the Ten Commandments.

There are three that I feel that we should all follow. Do not murder or steal and honor your parents. If you don’t follow them you are a sinner. But then again, we must define what was meant by these Commandments.

Is murder OK if you do it in the name of the Lord? In my book murder is the premeditated act of killing another living being, regardless of the reason or the cause. I have violated this commandment by killing insects and other vermin. Therefore, I am a sinner and should repent.

On what level is stealing considered a sin? Is the person that takes a note pad and a few pens home from his workplace a thief? How about the person that takes a glass, flatware or a salt shaker from a restaurant. Are they thieves, after all it is stealing? Stealing is the act of removing of property that belongs to another without their permission. Again, I am guilty; I am a sinner and therefore should repent.

I have always honored and revered my parents. However I do recall one time, when I couldn’t get my way as a teen, which I said to my Dad “I hope that you rot in Hell”. This is not quite honoring thy parents. I guess that technically I have broken this Commandment; I am a sinner and should repent.

I wonder if these sins can be broken down into misdemeanor and felony sins. Must one have to repent for the misdemeanor sins?

There are other things that I consider to be sinful.

One is the waste of finite resources. Yet millions of people around the world do this on a daily basis. It’s a sin and they should repent. I am not guilty of this sin (unless you count beer as a finite resource – I usually leave about a half ounce of backwash in the can.

I feel the waste of food is also a sin. My parents, who lived through the Great Depression, would always tell (force) me to eat everything on my plate and not to waste God’s greatest gift. Leftovers were worked into new meals and we rarely had any food items in our trash. In today’s society too much food goes down the garbage disposal and in the trash can. This is a sin and we should all repent.

I could go on forever on what I believe to be sinful. Most of these sins are not mentioned in the Bible or in any other Holy Book.

However, I do not feel the need to repent for my sins, because like George Carlin, I do not believe in the Heaven and Hell concept. If I’m wrong, I’ll pay on Judgment Day.

The Beach Bum

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger blank said...

You raise a good question about sin. Is it sin to spent a lot of money building a church while billions of people around the globe go hungry? If you have two SUVs and your neighbor has none, should you give them one of yours -- or would that be hurting your neighbor because it would cause them pain at the pump?

If I tell someone they are living in sin, does that make me a sinner because I have heaped judgment upon another?

If there is one-truth, as some wish to believe, then why are their so many denominations and so many beliefs? Should anyone be arrogant enough to believe God gave them all the answers but that God did not give their neighbors all the answers?

Fri Jun 27, 04:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It,s never to late.

Tue Jul 01, 03:31:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get a grip on yourself. Lift the heavy burden off your shoulders and join hands with the Lord. Your not a bum,your a person with skills that can go forth and be recognised as a roll model. We need people like you to lead us. You are not a bum, you are a beach person lost in the tide of humatity. Keep on swimming!!!

Wed Jul 02, 03:35:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, burberry outlet, coach factory outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, prada handbags, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, coach outlet store online, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

Fri Nov 21, 08:18:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 08:29:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose, thomas sabo, canada goose uk, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, parajumpers, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, iphone 6 cases, hollister, toms shoes, moncler, timberland boots, rolex watches, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, vans, louis vuitton, moncler, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, supra shoes, moncler, converse, links of london, ugg, moncler, montre homme, gucci, converse shoes, swarovski crystal, air max, oakley, air max, ralph lauren, louboutin, swarovski, ugg, moncler outlet, ray ban, lancel, pandora jewelry, baseball bats

Fri Nov 21, 08:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home