Monday, May 19, 2008

Relatively Speaking

My surname is not common. There are probably less that 100 living in the United States and less that 250 worldwide (most being in the Czech Republic).

My father became infected with encephalitis (sleeping sickness) when I was very young. He went into a comatose state shortly thereafter. Several years later he died of Pneumonia. I never really knew him.

My Mother remarried and the man that I call my Dad in these Blogs reared me. I think that he did a good job and I loved him as I would if he was my biological father. He’s the only Dad that I know.

Last Friday I was checking my Stat Counter for my Web Site (not this Blog). There is a “came from” option and I notice that a recent visitor to the site had Googled my surname. I haven’t searched for my surname for at least 8 years. I did so. There were more than 15,000 entries on Google.

All of these people listed must be relatives.

I ran across one entry from the Chicago Sun Times about an 80 year old WWII vet named Edward who lived in North Riverside, IL. I wondered if this could be my cousin Edward (AKA Junior). I hadn’t seen him since I was on leave from the Army before shipping out to Africa (he saw my name tag on my uniform and approached me).I probably hadn’t seen him for 15 years. After my mother remarried, I had very little contact with my birth Father’s family.

I tried to call Edward on Friday night. I got his answering machine and left a message, but it cut me off before I could leave a telephone number. I tried calling back but it cut me off again.

On Saturday, I tried again. We connected!

We had an hour plus conversation. We spoke about my Father (he got choked up- he said that he and my Father, his uncle, were close), the family and what they are doing now.

He will be 83 in October and still is able to run for the bus. I have a hard time walking to the Bathroom.

He is sending me pictures of the family from the late 40’s and early 50’s; including pictures of me and my Father (I have only one photo of us together – when I was a baby).

I’ll be calling him again soon.

The Beach Bum

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very good. Family should keep in touch,generation after generation. Without a connection there is nothing. Don't loan any money.

Mon May 19, 05:51:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, burberry outlet, coach factory outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, prada handbags, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, coach outlet store online, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

Fri Nov 21, 08:18:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 08:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home