Sunday, October 05, 2008

Next Year - I'll Pray to Saint Jude

A long time ago a friend’s father, who was an avid Cubs Fan, told me that the corner of Clark and Addison was where the “Street of Broken Dreams” meets the “Avenue of Despair”. I laughed! That was in 1980 when I could still laugh about my favorite Baseball team losing. There was always next year.

Last night, or should I say, in the wee small hours of the morning, I recalled what a 70 year old Cubs Fan had told me 28 years before. Now I understood the meaning of his words.

The Cubs were swept by the Dodgers in the Divisional Playoff Series. The team with the best regular season record in the National League lost three games in a row to the team with the worst divisional record in the Playoffs.

I didn’t read any of the Chicago Sports Writers take on this series and probably won’t for several days; when the angst wears off.

I really believed that this would be the year that the Chicago Cubs would go to the World Series. And perhaps even win the World Series. Other years I just hoped, but this year I believed.

This morning I received 2 consoling emails. One was from a Cubs Fan who said “didn’t I tell you not to get your hopes up” and the other from a White Sox Fan who wrote “I know how you feel, maybe next year.”

I don’t think that I have that many next years left.

The Beach Bum

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really too familiar with the Saints, but isn't St. Jude the one that the Beatles told to take a sad song and make it better?

Sun Oct 05, 12:10:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 09:22:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose, thomas sabo, canada goose uk, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, parajumpers, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, iphone 6 cases, hollister, toms shoes, moncler, timberland boots, rolex watches, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, vans, louis vuitton, moncler, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, supra shoes, moncler, converse, links of london, ugg, moncler, montre homme, gucci, converse shoes, swarovski crystal, air max, oakley, air max, ralph lauren, louboutin, swarovski, ugg, moncler outlet, ray ban, lancel, pandora jewelry, baseball bats

Fri Nov 21, 09:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home