Monday, September 15, 2008

I Missed Number 7

To say the least, I was extremely aggravated last night. My hostility stemmed from the fact that four of the major Sports sites that I visit (including Cubs.com) said that the Cubs would be on WGN last night. My cable company disagreed and they were correct. No Cubs on WGN (at least not here in Florida).

I have seen my fair share (more than in a normal year) of Cubs games this year. So I shouldn’t be complaining.

But I am, because Cubs "Pitching Ace" Carlos Zambrano pitched a no hitter last night and came very close to pitching a perfect game.

No hitters are very rare. In my lifetime (and I’ve seen thousands of baseball games) I have seen six No Hitters. I’ve seen one in person (Nolan Ryan at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore – June 1975) and the other five on television. One of the others was a perfect game thrown by Sandy Kofax against the Cubs. But I’ve have never seen a Cubs pitcher throw a no hitter.

I feel that a No Hitter is far more enjoyable to watch than a Slugfest. In modern day Baseball, where complete games and shutouts have (due to pitch counts) become a rarity, the no hitter is the ultimate pitching feat.

A tip of my hat goes out to Carlos as well as Geovany Soto who called the game. If Soto previously wasn’t a cinch for NL Rookie of the Year, he now is. He might even be in contention for the league MVP.

Go Cubs Go!

The Beach Bum

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

Even though we're separated by denominational differences (as you know), I agree with you about how thrilling a no hitter is.

It's just... I don't remember the City being nearly as ga-ga about Beurhle's no hitter last April. Of course it was April, not the last weeks of a pennant race.

Sunday night, we were watching the Sox cruise against the Tigers on ESPN... and they kept updating the Cub situation. They finally broke away for the 9th inning and picked up the WGN feed.

I thought ESPN had exclusivity on Sunday nights... but maybe WGN got permission to show it locally (not on the Superstation) because of the rescheduling. I don't know. But it was on in Chicago. I checked, but only after ESPN preempted our signal.

All I know is that the Sox were up 7-0 when ESPN interrupted for the Cubs. When we got our game back it was all of a sudden 7-2. Then the Tigers got 5 more to tie it in the top of the 8th (including a grand slam off Octavio Don't Ask Don't Tell).

Fortunately Dewayne Wise hit a grand slam of his own and the Sox won.

But there's a part of me, see, that blames the Cubs for this unnecessarily close call.

And ESPN, too.

Tue Sep 16, 01:43:00 PM  
Blogger The Beach Bum said...

Curmudgeon -

I tuned away from the Sox on ESPN to watch a movie on Sunday night. If only I had stuck with them.

The last No-hitter that I saw was Anibal Sanchez (Who?) of the Marlins in 2006. Before that A.J Burnett (Marlins) in 2001.

I have also seen a combined no-no but I really don't count it.

The Beach Bum

Thu Sep 18, 12:26:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, burberry outlet, coach factory outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, prada handbags, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, coach outlet store online, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

Fri Nov 21, 09:00:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 09:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home