Monday, December 01, 2008

Give Every Man His Dew

Yesterday I received a flaming email from a good friend. Among other things he called me a lazy so and so. I cannot disagree with his assessment. I have grown lazy during the past 2 years. But I prefer to think that it is; I do what I want to do when I want to do it.

My friend is the chief Librarian at an undisclosed Maryland University. Before that he was a High School teacher. He has dual Masters Degrees (History and English) and a Doctorate in Library Science. In other words, he has spent most of his adult life as a teacher and a professional student. Basically he’s an egghead with a very dry sense of humor.

I facetiously call him Marion the Librarian (A Music Man reference) in our emails.

A mutual female friend once called us the “Odd Couple”. She said I never blinked and he never smiled.

In years past, when I lived in Maryland, he usually bought a bottle of good Irish whiskey for us to share on the celebration of the anniversary of my birth. We would sing (or at least attempt to sing) traditional Irish Folk songs. The true test was singing Johnny McAdoo after 4 pints of Guinness Stout and 6 shots of Tullamore Dew. If we couldn’t sing it, we’d call it a night.


So why did he flame me?

About 10 to 12 weeks ago he sent me a test that he designed for incoming Freshman. It was comprised of 125 multiple guess questions on various subjects. He called it a cultural literacy test. He wanted to use me as a control subject for his test. I felt honored.

Most of the questions were easy to very easy, like Jeopardy for 6th Graders. Some of them had pictures of world famous Landmarks and some had pictures of classic Artwork. I knew the answers to most of the questions without reading the choices. I was stumped on 5 or 6 questions (two were life science questions and another was concerning the metric system conversion), but I made an “educated guess” (I picked the C answer).

I enjoy taking tests and basically I have nothing better to do with my time. However he sent it in an Adobe Acrobat .pdf file. I have an Acrobat Reader which allows me access to the test, but to send him the answers to his questions, I would have to use MS Word. Or worst yet, print it out and send the results by snail mail. Either way this would be a massive pain in the buttocks, so I never sent him the results.

We spoke on the phone last night; I called. I told him of my results of taking his test. Too easy! He agreed saying that the incoming Freshmen that took the test averaged 76% correct. He also told me that he intentionally made the C answer the least correct answer. I told him that if he sent me a bottle of fine Irish sipping whiskey, I would collaborate with him on next year’s test.

The Beach Bum

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger alfredo_tomato said...

If he sent me a bottle, I'd drink it.

Mon Dec 01, 06:45:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flattery will get you nowhere. You are still a lazy “so and so”. However, I do miss your birthday celebrations. My ex never understood how they could possibly last all weekend. That’s why she’s my ex.

I love your rendition of They’re Moving Father’s Grave. And I’ll never forget Swing Low Sweet Chariot with the accompanying hand signs.

If I can find a crock I'll send it to you for Christmas.

Tue Dec 02, 11:40:00 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, burberry outlet, coach factory outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, prada handbags, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, coach outlet store online, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

Fri Nov 21, 09:02:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 09:15:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose, thomas sabo, canada goose uk, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, parajumpers, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, iphone 6 cases, hollister, toms shoes, moncler, timberland boots, rolex watches, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, vans, louis vuitton, moncler, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, supra shoes, moncler, converse, links of london, ugg, moncler, montre homme, gucci, converse shoes, swarovski crystal, air max, oakley, air max, ralph lauren, louboutin, swarovski, ugg, moncler outlet, ray ban, lancel, pandora jewelry, baseball bats

Fri Nov 21, 09:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home