Friday, January 30, 2009

Kicking Off the Tourist Season

I spoke to a former co-worker this morning. He’s a bartender at a Restaurant/Nightclub on Treasure Island.


After we exchanged the usual pleasantries, we spoke about the Super Bowl. The conversation centered on how it (being here in Tampa) will effect the bar business. More importantly how it will affect his pocket.

January is generally a slow month for Bars, Restaurants and Motels on the Beach. Although the snowbirds are already there, the tourists don’t start rolling in until mid February. Who wants to go to the Beach when the temperatures are in the fifties to low sixties during the day and in the 40’s at night?

My bartender friend told me that business was better than usual last night – a lot of Steelers’ fans. He also said that they expect to have a busier than normal Friday and Saturday. Pittsburgh fans do like to “drink and party; they just don’t tip that well”. The best case scenario would be the Jets playing the Bears; his team against my team. They drink and tip very well.

I asked him if there were any Cardinal fans on the beach and he said “nope, they are all in Tampa.” He also added that the cocktail waitress and the lap dancers in Tampa will be making a killing this weekend. I said “good for them, they deserve it.” He chuckled and said “Yeah, they’ve been having a bad year due the economy.”

I asked him if he was working on Super Bowl Sunday and he said “Nah, I’m going to a house party in St. Petersburg.” “I’m not going there to watch the game, just the Halftime Show with Springsteen and the Commercials.” I told him that I would be doing the same at home; not watching the game but the Commercials and Springsteen Show.

The Beach Bum

Labels: , , , ,