Saturday, February 07, 2009

Warning Signs

There is a warning label on every beer that I drink. Although I do not read and heed them, I know that they are there. It is a generally agreed to fact that the consumption of alcoholic beverages in more than moderate quantities is not good for your physical well being.

The warning on the label of the beer that I am now consuming reads:

GOVERNMENT WARNING:
1)According to the Surgeon General women should not drink alcoholic beverages during pregnancy because of the risk of birth defects. 2) Consumption of alcoholic beverages impairs your ability to drive a car or operate machinery and can cause health problems.

There is no warning label on my Vodka bottle. Why? Is drinking beer more dangerous than drinking Vodka? My beer is less than 10 proof – my Vodka is 80 proof.

The cigarette that I am now smoking also has a warning label on each pack. The warnings vary from carton to carton. The current warning reads:

SURGEON GENERAL’S WARNING
Smoking Causes Lung Cancer, Heart Disease, Emphysema And May Complicate Pregnancy.

It is a known fact that both tobacco and alcohol contribute to heart disease. Yet I continue to put myself at risk even though I am aware of these facts and the statistics.

However what I don’t do is eat a Super-Sized Big Mac and Fries with a large Coke (not Pepsi). This food combination is known to clog the arteries and cause Heart Disease if consumed on a regular basis.

This now brings us to the Question of the Day:

Why isn’t there a Government or Surgeon General’s warning on the Big Mac and French fry containers that you get from McDonald’s or any other Fast Food Restaurant?

The Beach Bum

Labels: , ,