Monday, November 12, 2007

Hot Fun in the Summertime

This year’s annual trip to Chicago was one of the better ones that I have had in recent years. I was able to reunite with more of the people that I had desired to reunite with than in past years. I spent less time in the bars and taverns than usual and more time with my sister (the Saint) and her family.

I was able to eat an Italian Beef sandwich with peppers and Pizza three times (one from Connie’s, one from the Home Run Inn, and one from my favorite neighborhood bar in Forest Park.) without intestinal distress. The Saint, who is an excellent cook, put me on a new supplement to aid with my digestion. It worked. However, I didn’t press my luck and have a Chicago style Hot Dog.

The first Sunday that I was in Chicago, I celebrated a good friend’s birthday. This event was held at my favorite neighborhood tavern. The bar is owned by another one of my good friends. People than I hadn’t seen for years were in attendance. It was an eclectic group of miscreants from all walks of life and the conversations were excellent as usual.

I spent most of the following week sitting in the Saint’s back yard, reading the newspapers and doing the puzzles (Crossword, Jumble and Sudoku). I usually read my news on-line, but since the Saint’s house is a non-smoking zone, I opted for the print edition. I prefer the print edition, but being a good Bohemian; if something is virtually free I lean in that direction.

My sister’s back yard is small but a very pleasant place to spend the day. For the most part the weather cooperated. We had a couple rainy days, but only one day in the upper 80’s. Good weather for mid to late July. The Saint is a consummate gardener; it seems that each year she outdoes herself with her floral displays. The diversity of the flowers and plants and their colors are amazing and aesthetically pleasing to the senses.

On Thursday we planned to go sailing on Lake Michigan. When in Chicago I sail aboard a 32 foot Sloop moored at Burnham Park Harbor. Although it was actually a beautiful day, the winds were coming from the North East at a sustained 15 KPH with gusts up to 25 KPH. Not an ideal day to sail on Lake Michigan. The Captain made the call at1600 hours – NO Sail!

I mentioned the fact that 25 years ago he would be yelling “No Guts – No Glory” The Captain countered with “There are no able bodies aboard, today”. I was the youngest crew member at 61 years old; in fact the Captain still calls me young George. So there sat bunch of old fogies eating Connie’s Pizza, drinking beer and wine and reminiscing about the old days aboard the “Valiant”.

I came up with several good sailing stories from circa 1980 – 1981. I will write about them in my next Blog. The parties involved in these stories told me to feel free to embellish the stories on the Blog. Most likely, I probably will.

On the third Saturday of every July, my cousin “The Admiral” organizes the “Five Generation Family Reunion”. Not only family members, but also friends from the old neighborhood also attend. This usually is the highlight of my trip to the Windy City. Even though some key members of the family and friends were absent this year, it was still a great time. The Beer, Wine and Bullshit flowed like water. And a good time was had by all that attended. I can’t wait until next year.

The Beach Bum

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, burberry outlet, coach factory outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, prada handbags, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, coach outlet store online, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

Fri Nov 21, 08:24:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 08:31:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose, thomas sabo, canada goose uk, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, parajumpers, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, iphone 6 cases, hollister, toms shoes, moncler, timberland boots, rolex watches, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, vans, louis vuitton, moncler, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, supra shoes, moncler, converse, links of london, ugg, moncler, montre homme, gucci, converse shoes, swarovski crystal, air max, oakley, air max, ralph lauren, louboutin, swarovski, ugg, moncler outlet, ray ban, lancel, pandora jewelry, baseball bats

Fri Nov 21, 08:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home