Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Free Flying

This Friday I will be flying to Chicago to spend time with my family and boyhood friends. I do this every year in July. I don’t like to fly. Actually it’s not flying that bothers me; it’s the thought of crashing and burning in an airplane. I do not suffer from Pteromerhanophobia –The Fear of Flying. I do not know if there is a named Phobia for crashing and burning in an airplane, but if there is I have it.

They will say that flying in an airplane is safer than driving in a car. That is probably why I do not drive (I gave my car away) and more so hate being a passenger in a moving vehicle. Especially on the high speed Interstate roads, it’s always a white knuckle ride for me.

I’m really not afraid of dying, just crashing and burning.

I also have a fear of heights. A good friend (The Captain) once said that “George gets nose bleeds on a step ladder” Although this is an exaggeration, there is some truth in his statement. The truth is that I will not get higher that the fourth rung on any ladder. I don’t get nose bleeds; I get dizzy and begin to fear falling off of the appliance. I believe that they call this Vertigo.

This now brings us to the point of this Blog.

I read today that some idiot in the Pacific Northwest tied more than 100 Helium filled Balloons to a “lawn chair” and soared more than 13,000 feet above the ground (nearly 3 miles) He said the view (of the earth below him) was beautiful. Is it a full Moon week or what?

What would have happened to this guy if a Murder of Crows had attacked his balloons at 2000 or 3000 feet? Crows are attracted to bright colors, I can just picture them pecking at the Balloons! Boom, Boom, Boom and the lawn chair rapidly descends to the Earth!

Now, I have done some stupid things in my life; and in the process I have thrown caution to the wind. But tying a bunch of gas filled balloons to an aluminum and mesh chair wasn’t one of them; I enjoy being on “Terra Firma” and looking up at the sky and clouds rather than being up there looking down on the earth.

The Beach Bum

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try a train,if they crash they usually just fall over and not very far.Plus they have a club car.

Wed Jul 11, 04:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LETS see a story on those "crazy" things son.....I bet the list would be long and funny as hell...

Raymond

Wed Jul 11, 06:44:00 PM  
Blogger alfredo_tomato said...

I used to love flying, but now I just don't care if I ever fly again. It could be the airport. I used to love them when my dad took us there to watch the planes land and take off. The open air observation deck gave a wonderful view of the airfield.

When I joined the Army, I used the airplane on the government's dime. The airports were still friendly places. It was after I returned home I realized flying had changed. Movement was restricted, even the ability to even see an airplane was restricted. It was just a business. Airports ceased being a family friendly place. The romance was gone.

With the new security measures, it seems down right hostile. I'd rather not find out if the stories are true.

Now that I am retired I don't have to put up with assholes. If I don't have to do something I won't do it. It gives me more time for the things I want to do. I don't want to fly. I'd rather sit in my dining room, drinking coffee and reading some good book. I don't even have to take off my shoes if I don't want to.

Wed Jul 11, 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, burberry outlet, coach factory outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, prada handbags, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, coach outlet store online, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

Fri Nov 21, 08:24:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 08:37:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 08:37:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose, thomas sabo, canada goose uk, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, parajumpers, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, iphone 6 cases, hollister, toms shoes, moncler, timberland boots, rolex watches, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, vans, louis vuitton, moncler, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, supra shoes, moncler, converse, links of london, ugg, moncler, montre homme, gucci, converse shoes, swarovski crystal, air max, oakley, air max, ralph lauren, louboutin, swarovski, ugg, moncler outlet, ray ban, lancel, pandora jewelry, baseball bats

Fri Nov 21, 08:37:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home