Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Eye Candy

I took a walk to my favorite store yesterday, it is about a half mile down Gulf Blvd. I saw something that is very rare here on Treasure Island, in the parking lot of one of our larger motels. It was four young women getting out of a car and walking into the Motel.

Treasure Island is not known to attract young single women to the beach, although ours is one of the widest and cleanest on the Gulf Coast of Florida. We predominantly attract families and older people.

It finally dawned on me. It must be Spring Break.

I spoke to the owner of my favorite store and he confirmed the fact that it was indeed Spring Break. He has had to check more ID’s since the past weekend. Most of them have been from out of State. Sometime this causes him problems, but if he doesn’t like the ID he refuses to sell them package goods. Occasionally they’ll give him some guff and he will reply, “I do not want to lose my license, I cannot take a chance with your ID.” Some of them will make a snide remark while walking out the door.

I like Spring Break because it’s one of the only times of the year that you can really see good eye candy on the beach. In the summer months we have some day trippers from the Tampa Bay area, but most of the younger girls (and when I say younger, I mean in their late teens to mid twenties) prefer to go to Clearwater Beach, about a half hour drive north of Treasure Island. There is more action for younger people at Clearwater Beach; the Hotels are larger with more upscale bars that feature the music that younger people enjoy.

Today I took a four mile walk on the beach, two miles down and two miles back. Of course, I had to stop to rest my knees and have a beer in the process. I saw a total of eleven scantly clad nubile young ladies on my journey. Unfortunately none of them were wearing thong bikinis. The eye candy was sparse, but it was better than I have seen in a long while.

The Doctor’s tell me that walking is good for my legs, even though it causes me pain. When I returned home today, it felt like my left knee was on fire. I had to take some Ibuprofen; which I do not like to do this because of my alcoholic beverage consumption habits.

You can bet your last dollar that I will be taking a walk on the beach again tomorrow afternoon and for the next few days. Pain or no pain. But I’ll probably be going in the opposite direction. There are more hotels, motels and beach bars going north on Treasure Island than going south.

The Beach Bum

Labels: