Sunday, March 11, 2007

A Slow Boat to China

I have two counters on this Blog. The one that you see at the bottom of this page gives you a count of the page hits to this Blog.

What are page hits? I don’t totally understand how this works. But I do realize that if a visitor to my Blog clicks on an achieved blog or a comment and then returns back to the Blog, it is counted as a page hit.

My second counter is one that you do not see on by blog. It gives me the stats on my last 100 visitors. It tells me where you came from and how you arrived at my Blog (including the search terms that you used). It also gives me your IP address, including city/state/country ID. However, I’ve found that some of these are erroneous. My daughter, who lives in Florida, is logging in from Greenville, South Carolina and a friend who lives in Maryland is listed as coming from Colorado. Obviously the system is not infallible.

I average 16 visitors per day with 2 returning visitors per day. However, if you clear your cookies daily you would not be counted as a returning visitor.

Now this counter is also telling me that 34% of my visitors come from China. It’s been as high as 48% from China for the past 100 page hits. None of them have been returning visitors. Or perhaps they clear their cookies daily.

The bulk of my Chinese readers usually visit between 2100 and 2200 hours GMT. Most of China is at +8 hours GMT. A quick conversion of time zones tells me that they are reading my Blog while they are sipping their early morning tea.

I can’t help but to wonder if they all read English or if they have a translator program that puts my Blog in the Chinese Language. I never get a comment from my Chinese visitors unless it is to refer me to a site that is selling OEM software.

I had an old friend that was Chinese. He worked for me in late 1970’s. He taught me all the obscene Chinese phrases. This is a real friend. He left Maryland (by train) for New York City with two shopping bags (one with his clothes and the other with thousands of dollars in cash) to visit his son before taking a slow boat back to China (as I do, he had an aversion to flying). His leaving saddened me, as well as it did my daughter who had grown very fond of Mr. Wong.

Now I’ve gone off on a tangent. Too many cocktails tonight!

Back to the Chinese visitors that visit this Blog. My stat service tells me that most of my Chinese visitors come to my blog with “No Referring Link”.

What does this mean?

It means that you have either Bookmarked my Blog or that someone sent you an email that had the website (Blog site) address included in the text of the message.

Am I being passed around in China? Why are they interested in the drivel that I have been writing?

If you are from China and are reading this, please leave a comment on this Blog and let me know who you are, what you do and why you visited my Blog. I'm just curious and would appreciate your response and comments about this Blog.

Thanks!

The Beach Bum

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger That Canadian Guy said...

Thankyou so much for returning the comment and explaing your side. I see what you mean now, in relation to the dollar bill/coin being useless. I thought you meant that they were pointless, and maybe they are, but i do have to agree with you now. Would you then support the technology that they have in Europe that enables you access to your bank through you mobile phone? For instance, you want a bottle of Coke, or a chocolate bar and can use your cell phone to pay for it. I think its a great idea, kind of like a debit card though

Sun Mar 11, 11:38:00 PM  
Blogger Peg said...

Well, I'm not from china, but I know that I show up as coming from Maryland, and I live in New England!

Thank you for dropping by my blog last week. I appreciated your comments more that you will ever know.

Best to you...Peg

Tue Mar 13, 06:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home