Thursday, December 13, 2007

Holiday Shopping

There are just 11 more shopping days before Christmas. Surprisingly the Malls and Shopping Center’s parking lots do not seem to be that full.

Are we really in the recession that I keep hearing bantered about on the television news channels? Maybe everyone shot their wad on “Black Friday”. Or perhaps they have wised up and avoid the Malls and opt for on-line shopping. Most of the major retailers have a Web Site and many offer free shipping during the Holiday Season.

If you know what you want to purchase you can even shop for comparative pricing. But some people I know still enjoy going to the Malls and being jostled around, ignored by the sales staff, and wait in line to make their purchases.

My last trip to a Mall (The Annapolis Mall) at Christmastime was in the early 1990’s. It was on the 23rd of December; I’ve always been a Holiday shopping procrastinator. One of my female roommates (who disdained shopping more than I did) asked if I wanted to go to the Mall with her and I reluctantly joined her because I needed to buy a Music CD for my son.

We entered the Mall through a large Department Store. The place was packed with last minute shoppers and the lines at the registers were long. This bothered my roommate, as she was accustomed to doing most of her shopping at the 7-11 and our local Liquor Store. Too many people! Lions, Tigers and Bears, oh my! Malls can become overwhelming to the non-shopper.

So then my roommate said to me “why don’t we first mellow out with a few cocktails, before we start to shop.” This sounded like a great idea! We then sat at a Mall Restaurant Bar for the next 7 hours, discussing the affairs of the day. By this time, most of the stores in the Mall had already closed and we were both shit faced and talking about the possibility of having sex together. We called my other female roommate to come and get us and to bring us home. She was not too happy, but came to get us anyway. Of course, we were admonished for our bad behavior and we never copulated.

At least, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

The Beach Bum

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never did like Christmas season and Christmas shopping Zazz. The commercialization just did me in. Whatever happened to 'Christ' in Christmas?
later pal,
vjz

Fri Dec 14, 06:53:00 AM  
Blogger blank said...

vjz said, "Whatever happened to 'Christ' in Christmas?"

In 1964 one could even using a government wood shop to build a nativity and display that nativity on U.S. Government property. One such life-size nativity was displayed at Kagnew Station: http://kagnewstation.com/kagnewimages/images/manger/christmas64-1.jpg

Without the photograph taken by, and shared by Dick Perry, that historical fact may have lost. I believe strongly in the separation of church and state - when it comes to policy. Political Islam is a good example of how mixing religion and politics can be messy. Nevertheless, a nativity built by someone is not government policy - it is a celebration of Christmas in my opinion.

Courts have disagreed with my opinion. I still say Merry Christmas, even though it may not be politically correct. Without the birth of Jesus the holiday would not exist. It is impossible to take Christ out of Christmas, no matter how hard people may try.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Sat Dec 15, 10:56:00 AM  
Blogger Gledwood said...

Hey how's it going?!?

Don't remind me of this horrible countdown unpleasantness...

Xmas - time of full yukkiness! Unpleasantness! Ughkh!!!

I hope YOU have a great time though... I don't think I will...

AND MORE IMPORTANTLY A FANTASTIC NEW YEAR!!!

Long time no see I know sorry I only half updated my links leaving you half way down the page HOW'S IT GOING???

Sun Dec 16, 04:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home