Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Question is Why

I’ve been asking myself the following question for many years.

Why do some people feel the need or burning desire to feel important to others? Are their lives so shallow? “I did this and I did that”, “I met so and so” and “I have this and I have that”.

My Dad would have called them “braggarts”! But I believe that it goes far beyond bragging with some people. It seems to be a compulsion for some individuals to feel more important than the really are. They seemingly need to impress others.

This type of person really irritates me. And I have met quite a few in my life. But the first and foremost is my Brother-in-Law (AKA Uncle John). Maybe it’s because I have been around him more than I have the others.

Not to say that Uncle John hasn’t had some good accomplishments, met some interesting famous people and has had some nice possessions. I just can’t stand the constant reminders of these facts.

I rarely crow about myself. Perhaps, I have nothing to crow about. But I can’t stand the people that continually attempt to remind me of their accolades.

I let my actions speak for themselves; I don’t feel the need to tell people about what I have achieved, whom I have met and what possessions I possess. Is this unusual or is this normal?

Not that I do not take pride in what I have accomplished in my life; I just rather have others praise me, than to praise myself. But I never look for praise and do not expect it from others. Perchance they’ll eulogize me after I am no longer here. I’ll never know.

From Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar:

“I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones”


So let it be with me!

I actually do care about what my friends think about me. But I never endeavor to impress them or a casual acquaintance with anything other than my excellent memory and my trivial knowledge. You never have to remind your friends of whom and what you are. If they are your friends they probably know you better than you know yourself.

The Beach Bum

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My slogan in life is,
Stick with me and go nowhere

Thu Jan 17, 04:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are impressed,the world awaits the blog from nowhere. After all you live the good life in sunny Fl. getting a tan and probably eating fresh mangoes.
Just beware O.J. also lives in Florida getting a tan and probably eating fresh watermelon. He's a tall balding black guy.

Fri Jan 18, 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger blank said...

We are all a combination of achievements and failures. We are all makers of mistakes. Some of us swim upstream in a downstream world while others go with the flow. Some of us are more crazy than others, some more quiet than others, some of keep talking even as we sleep.

The reality for us all, even the bragarts you describe, is that when it comes to life, none of will ever get out of it alive -- but some believe God will pluck them out before a time of tribulation and they will escape alive -- I'm not holding my breath.

Just try to accept your brother-in-law as he is, love him the best you are able and, most important, never be afraid to leave the room if it becomes too full of "stuff."

Sat Jan 19, 08:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take Roxie's advice. Remember,
"There are more horses asses then there are horses"

Sat Jan 19, 10:03:00 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, burberry outlet, coach factory outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, prada handbags, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, coach outlet store online, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

Fri Nov 21, 08:18:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 08:28:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose, thomas sabo, canada goose uk, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, parajumpers, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, iphone 6 cases, hollister, toms shoes, moncler, timberland boots, rolex watches, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, vans, louis vuitton, moncler, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, supra shoes, moncler, converse, links of london, ugg, moncler, montre homme, gucci, converse shoes, swarovski crystal, air max, oakley, air max, ralph lauren, louboutin, swarovski, ugg, moncler outlet, ray ban, lancel, pandora jewelry, baseball bats

Fri Nov 21, 08:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home