Thursday, December 20, 2007

All We Need Is Love

From the Beatles Rubber Soul Album (1965):

In My Life

There are places I'll remember
All my life though some have changed
Some forever not for better
Some have gone and some remain
All these places have their moments
With lovers and friends I still can recall
Some are dead and some are living
In my life I’ve loved them all

But of all these friends and lovers
There is no one compares with you
And these memories lose their meaning
When I think of love as something new
Though I know I’ll never lose affection
For people and things that went before
I know I’ll often stop and think about them
In my life I love you more


Lyrics by John Lennon

I dedicate today's Blog to a friend and a former lover!

Two days ago I received a snail mail Christmas message from a former lover and very good friend. We split up as a couple nearly 20 years ago, but our friendship has endured the test of time. If I had been a better person, we might still be together today (read this as being married).

She has been sending me a Christmas letter every year since I have moved from Maryland to Florida in 1998. The letter is a recap of the year’s significant events in her and her son’s life. A Christmas photo of her and her son is also enclosed. She is a great mother (a single working mom, that hasn’t gotten didly squat in support from the boy’s father) and has taught her 12 year old son well. He has authored the well written Christmas letter for the last two years.

I called to compliment him on his writing ability on Tuesday afternoon. Actually I was hoping to speak to his mother about the enclosed Christmas photo. She wasn’t home!

I called again last night, spoke to her, and we had a 90 minute conversation. The Christmas photo was taken on the 11th of November. They both had attended the Bruce Springsteen concert that night in Washington, DC. I noticed that the tee shirt that her son was wearing was from the 1992 (No-Name backup band) Concert that we attended (I had bought 2 shirts – one for her and one for me). We were not together (as lovers) at this time. I was dating a younger woman and she had recently divorced her wife beating husband after a 9 month marriage.

She didn’t recall going to that concert, however she did recall attending the 1984 “Born in the USA” concert with me. It was her first Bruce Concert. She never had cared for his music before that time.

Last night I apologize for being the asshole that was during our relationship. She said “I loved you then, I still love you now and always will, you are my best friend”. I cried!

After we hung up the phone (both saying “I Love You” as our last words), I immediately thought of the Lennon Lyrics from the song “In My Life”.

The Beach Bum

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

R U going soft, sentimental and maudlin. Has that beer you had for breakfast coming back to haunt you.
It was a good blog, I too am a Beatles fan.

Fri Dec 21, 12:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Picture doesn't come up.

Fri Dec 21, 04:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zazz ma tazz,
you are sentimental old s.o.b. That was a nice touch -- the former girlfriend and her son sending you a card. With all the great friends that you have around you, one would think that you'd have a better grip on your health and attitude toward a future full of senior years!
God Bless my friend,
palVal

Sat Dec 22, 05:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home