Friday, December 28, 2007

Functional Obsolescence

A fellow blogger, the Curmudgeon, a Chicago Lawyer wrote an article about Computer Printers. I laughed because; I’ve been there and done that.

I worked with computers 40 years ago. Back in the days when a computer would take up an entire wall and had less working power than a $397 Acer does today. Just wiring a patch board would take 3 to 6 hours. The printers used no ink.

In 2002 my printer ran out of black ink. Not that I use a printer that often. It seems that every time I need to print something that is important, I am out of ink. A friend told me that the cartridge had probably dried up from non-use. This is why I masturbate. I don’t want my personal stuff to dry up from non-use.

Back in 2002 my 18 month old Canon Ink Jet printer had a single ink cartridge – the colored inks and black ink all in one. The cartridge that I needed was priced at $31.95. Directly below the cartridge, sitting on display, was a brand new Canon printer on sale for $69.95. It had a $30 mail in rebate and a $10 in-store rebate.

For those of you that are not too good at math; the new printer cost me less than the replacement ink cartridge would have.

Before I moved this past August I discarded 4 old printers (three Canons and one Lexmark) that I was punishing, for not working properly, in my Junk closet. I also tossed 3 old useless computers. Yes I am a pack rat.

The black cartridge in my 2002 printer dried out in the fall of 2005. I had to borrow my daughter’s printer to print out some important stuff. So as a Christmas gift she gave me a new HP Printer-Scanner-Copier.

I hadn’t taken it out of the box or set it up until June 2006; when I needed it to print an important letter. It took me nearly two hours to print a two page letter. But, much to my surprise, it did work.

Last July, the Black ink on my newest printer bit the dust. I had printed a total of 16 pages and one photo. All the cartridges appear to be 3/4 full. The scanner still works, but I have regular scanner that is far superior to the HP unit. So now if I need to print something, I must first e-mail it to my daughter (in the next room) and then print it on her printer (she uses her printer often and has just purchased a new Black ink cartridge).

If you get a chance, take the time to read the Curmudgeon’s Second Effort Blog. I have placed a link here, just in case you are too lazy to scroll back up and find my link to the Second Effort blog on the right hand sidebar!

The Beach Bum

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The printer companies have discovered what Mr Gillette knew in the early 1900's - you can practically give away the razor because you'll make your money on the blades.

Fri Dec 28, 05:11:00 PM  
Blogger alfredo_tomato said...

The cartridge that comes with new printers is usually short ink. I take my empties to a service that refills for about ten bucks. (cartridge world) Printer ink is a ripoff, but that's how the printer companies make their money.



Al

Fri Dec 28, 05:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year you old fart.

Mon Dec 31, 01:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home