Saturday, February 24, 2007

Rats

Today I saw what I believed to be a small dog swimming in the Boca Ciega Bay behind my apartment complex. There is a pet friendly motel next door and dogs will often swim in the Bay.

My neighbor, who has better vision than I, informed me that it was not a dog. It was a rat. I responded with “you’re kidding me”!

I have lived on Treasure Island for 9 years and have never seen a rat. At least not one of the non-human variety. We have a lot of homeless cats and this tends to keep the rodent population down to the bare minimum.

My neighbor went on to explain that they were coming from an old grocery store, which is being razed, two blocks north of us.

I don’t like to be near gnawing animals. This includes mice, rats, squirrels and gerbils. This probably goes back to my childhood days when I was bitten by both a squirrel and a friend’s pet gerbil. Both of them drew blood and my Mom took me to the Doctor to get a shot (probably anti-tetanus). I’m not particularly fond of needles being stuck into to me either. But this is not one of my phobias.

The fear of rodents is called Musophobia. This phobia has not been ranked very high on my list of Phobias; mainly because there are not too many rodents living in the Florida Barrier Islands on the Gulf of Mexico. I’ll have to re-think this phobia’s ranking on my list of phobias.

Now back to the swimming rat. I can’t help but to wonder where he was going? Does he have friends in the neighborhood? Are they all lurking in my dumpster at night? Will they attack me when I take out the trash?

This is a lot for an idle mind to ponder.

The Beach Bum

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the rat had a triangular shaped tail, then it was a muskrat . . . and you will have nothing to fear as they don't attack anything other than snakes & other muskrats.

On the other hand, if it had an oval shaped tail, then it is very probably the little known but very vicious Florida Barrier Island Rat. On the plus side, they do not (as a rule) live in dumpsters. On the minus side, they are very territorial about protecting their preferred nesting places which are large older American automobiles.

No . . . no . . . don't thank me. You would do the same for me under similar circumstances.

Sat Feb 24, 07:31:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, burberry outlet, coach factory outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, prada handbags, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, coach outlet store online, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

Fri Nov 21, 07:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Obat Biang Keringat Pada Bayi Anak-anak dan dewasa said...

His article is very helpful at all thanks

Cara Mengobati bisul
Cara Mengobati Benjolan Pada Mata Dengan Obat Herbal Paling Ampuh
Cara Mengobati Penyakit Gondongan Dengan Bahan Alami
Obat Asam Urat Paling Ampuh
Cara Menghilangkan Keputihan Secara Alami dan Permanen
Cara Mengobati Hematuria

Sun Oct 28, 09:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home