Sunday, February 25, 2007

Duty, Honor, Country.

The Congressional Medal of Honor is the highest award that a person serving in our Military can receive. Most unfortunately, many that have received this honor have received it posthumously.



I read today, that President Bush will be bestowing the “Medal of Honor”, on Monday, to a Viet Nam Vet named Bruce P. Crandall Bruce is now 74 years old and is happy that he has not received this honor posthumously.

I spent 4 years of my life in the US Army during the Viet Nam War. I was no hero! In fact, I was the anti-hero (antagonist) in a chapter of a major 2005 non-fiction book about the small African country of Eritrea. All that was written about me in this book is true; therefore, I have no complaints. I have no regrets either!

I can recall a speech given by General Douglas MacArthur in 1960’s that mentioned; Duty, Honor, Country. These are important words which we should live by! It is too easy for us to forget the past and not honor those that have served our country well. Those that have given their lives to defend our well being.

I'm also reminded of the Shakespeare quote from Henry V. "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers"...."For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother". I am one of those "band of brothers" although I have never shed any blood while serving my country. I retain the common bonds with those that I have served with while in the military.

There are more than 200 Viet Nam War Vets that have received the Medal of Honor (contrary to popular belief; Forrest Gump/Tom Hanks is not one of them).

I was one of the fortunate individuals that served in the military in the mid and late 1960’s and did not to go to Viet Nam. I had High School friends that had died in Viet Nam. To my way of thinking this was for no perceptible reason. Some of them may have been heroes, I don’t really know. I don’t enjoy talking or thinking about dead friends.

Tomorrow when I see Mr. Crandall on the newscast, I will rise and give him a snappy salute, which he truly deserves. But I’ll be thinking of all the men and women who currently serve or have served our country in the military. I am sure that Bruce Crandall is thinking about them too.

The Beach Bum

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger alfredo_tomato said...

Do you have the citation? What did this soldier do?

Mon Feb 26, 12:43:00 AM  
Blogger Sarge Charlie said...

Thank you for your comments on bestest blog, and thank you for your service.

I am working on a post for tomorrow on Lt Col Crandall.

Mon Feb 26, 08:01:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, burberry outlet, coach factory outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, prada handbags, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, coach outlet store online, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

Fri Nov 21, 07:46:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 07:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home