Saturday, February 02, 2008

Super Size This

I read today that three Mississippi legislators want to make it illegal for restaurants to serve obese customers in Mississippi.

House Bill No. 282

If this Bill is enacted into law I will not be able to eat in a Mississippi Restaurant. Not that I feel that I am obese, but by Government Height/Weight Standards I am obese. For my height and my build (medium) I should ideally weigh between 164lbs and 178lbs. I currently weigh 191lbs. But for years I weighed between 182 and 185. And that is even over the limit.


I rarely eat at Fast Food Restaurants and haven’t been to an all-you-can-eat buffet in nearly 20 years. When I go out to dine I usually eat a salad, a baked potato and a seafood dish. I stay away from fatty foods, fried foods and beef. Not that I do not like them, but because they cause major distress in my gastro-intestinal system. I occasionally cheat and then I pay for it the next day.

In the past 6 years I have gained somewhere between 6 and 9 pounds. However my waistline has gone from 34 inches to 39 inches. Why? No exercise and the fact that most of my daily caloric intake comes from alcoholic beverages.

What’s next? Is Mississippi going to attempt to pass a law that prevents obese people from drinking in bars and restaurants or from buying alcoholic beverages in stores?

People that are obese are good for the economy. Look at how many jobs would be lost by people working in the Hospitality Industry and Health Care Industry if this law passes. This translates into less tax revenue for the State of Mississippi and more unemployment compensation paid out.


This legislation will never pass.

The Beach Bum

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do these lawmakers sleep at night? What is driving this latest fiasco in Mississippi?
curious in Wisconsin

Sat Feb 02, 07:06:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obesity is a big problem in Mississippi, but their solution is all wrong.

Here's a book I recommend

"In Defense of Food" By Michael Pollan.
As he says: "Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants."

He defines food as anything your grandparents would recognize. In other words, not that crap you find in the center isles of the super market.

Sat Feb 02, 10:01:00 PM  
Blogger blank said...

Our nation seems to be moving down a path that makes all unhealty behavior illegal - wow...

Goodbye freedom, Oh how I used to love you, and oh how much fun you brought me; but alas, all the fun is illegal but I should rejoice for in a mundane existence we shall all live a little longer.

You shall be assembled into someone's definition of a healthy lifestyle - its for your own good. Try not whine about freedom; it wasn't a healthy way to live.

Mon Feb 04, 08:20:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eat Soy,Sprouts,Shoots,Fern,Moss,soon you will be able to eat in Mississippi. Flush all that shit down with a 12 pack and you will feel great.

Sat Mar 15, 09:14:00 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 08:36:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose, thomas sabo, canada goose uk, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, parajumpers, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, iphone 6 cases, hollister, toms shoes, moncler, timberland boots, rolex watches, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, vans, louis vuitton, moncler, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, supra shoes, moncler, converse, links of london, ugg, moncler, montre homme, gucci, converse shoes, swarovski crystal, air max, oakley, air max, ralph lauren, louboutin, swarovski, ugg, moncler outlet, ray ban, lancel, pandora jewelry, baseball bats

Fri Nov 21, 08:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home