Friday, April 27, 2007

TV Commercials

I spent an inordinate amount of my time on the telephone yesterday afternoon. I spoke to two of my children, my Cable company (Bright House), an old friend from Chicago, GEICO automobile insurance, my former boss and a friend here in Florida. I usually do not spend this much time on the telephone. But I had some issues that needed to be resolved before going to my daughter’s house again, for another dog sitting assignment.

During most of the time on the phone I was also watching the Devil Rays being slaughtered by the LA Angels. Lo and Behold while I am on the phone with GEICO, up pops the GEICO Gecko on the television screen. Is this just coincidence or happenstance? I don’t know. I remember when the Gecko made his debut some years ago. Originally these were silly but good commercials. Now he has an Aussie accent and they have taken him to a level of incompetence via the “Peter Principle”. GEICO’s “Cave Man” commercials are even worse than their Gecko commercials. I would strongly suggest that GEICO change Ad Agencies.

As I have said before in my blogs, I like some commercials and occasionally enjoy watching them more than some of the network programs. However, with the exception of Miller Lite beer, a television commercial has never affected any of my purchases. When I decided that I needed to switch to a light beer (I had been drinking ales and Canadian beers) it was the Miller commercials that made me try their brand first. The beer is as they say “less filling”, but I don’t agree about the “tastes great” part.

I’ve been set in my ways and purchasing habits for over 25 years. I’ve been using the same bar soap, the same toilet tissue, the same shampoo, the same laundry detergent etc. etc. from the time that Jimmy Carter was our President. What I am trying to say is that no matter how good a television commercial or magazine advertisement is, it will not change my buying habits. My Mom and Dad were the same way with there purchases; as I do, they bought the same old stuff. You find something that you like and you stick with it. If a new and improved product comes to the marketplace you can bet that the product that you are currently using will soon be new and improved.

The Beach Bum

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, gucci outlet, michael kors outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, burberry outlet, coach factory outlet, air max, oakley sunglasses cheap, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louboutin, prada handbags, true religion jeans, polo ralph lauren outlet, christian louboutin shoes, ray ban sunglasses, nike free, air max, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton handbags, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, prada outlet, michael kors outlet, louboutin, longchamp handbags, burberry outlet, jordan shoes, kate spade outlet, coach outlet store online, coach purses, nike shoes, oakley sunglasses, louis vuitton, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, chanel handbags, kate spade handbags, tory burch outlet, longchamp handbags, tiffany and co

Fri Nov 21, 08:24:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

ghd, canada goose, beats by dre, uggs outlet, herve leger, mac cosmetics, ferragamo shoes, ugg pas cher, longchamp, canada goose outlet, bottega veneta, insanity workout, ugg, celine handbags, mcm handbags, valentino shoes, wedding dresses, canada goose jackets, reebok outlet, soccer jerseys, marc jacobs, mont blanc, ugg boots, hollister, uggs outlet, canada goose, instyler, canada goose, nfl jerseys, jimmy choo outlet, new balance shoes, p90x, north face jackets, north face outlet, chi flat iron, abercrombie and fitch, birkin bag, ugg boots, babyliss pro, nike roshe run, ugg boots, soccer shoes, rolex watches, lululemon outlet, asics running shoes, giuseppe zanotti, ugg australia, vans shoes

Fri Nov 21, 08:31:00 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

canada goose, thomas sabo, canada goose uk, hollister clothing store, pandora charms, parajumpers, juicy couture outlet, canada goose, pandora charms, juicy couture outlet, iphone 6 cases, hollister, toms shoes, moncler, timberland boots, rolex watches, moncler, karen millen, moncler, hollister, vans, louis vuitton, moncler, coach outlet store online, wedding dresses, supra shoes, moncler, converse, links of london, ugg, moncler, montre homme, gucci, converse shoes, swarovski crystal, air max, oakley, air max, ralph lauren, louboutin, swarovski, ugg, moncler outlet, ray ban, lancel, pandora jewelry, baseball bats

Fri Nov 21, 08:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home